Jakes Gerwel invites suitable applicants for Bursary Programme for 2021.
Closing Date: 19th July 2021
This inspirational fellowship is for students with high potential. It offers financial support, professional induction, and high-quality teacher education. These prepare the students to become expert teachers, social entrepreneurs, and educational leaders so that they can lead system change for the purpose of achieving superior-quality education for all learners.
The fellowship offers two types of opportunities:
- Undergraduate intake for Gap year, Grade 12, and 1st-year university students
- Graduate intake (PGCE).
- Full tuition fees
- Meal allowances
- Books allowance
- Tutor allowance
- Pocket money given every month
- Leadership development and academic support
- An expert teacher to be the student’s personal coach
The requirements for undergraduates are:
- Must believe that the classroom is a vehicle to promote social change.
- Must have the intention of study an Undergraduate Degree at UP or UCT followed by a PGCE.
- Must have a 65% average for their final results in Grade 11.
- Must be below 23 years of age by the closing date of the application.
- Must have a South African ID number.
- Demographic diversity is a founding principle.
The requirements for Teacher Fellowship (PGCE) are:
- Must be a permanent resident or a citizen of South Africa with an ID Number.
- Must be below 30 years of age by the closing date of the application.
- Must agree to teach at one of the high schools in South Africa upon completion of PGCE.
- Must apply to partner universities for academic study and placement in the PGCE course in 2021. These partner universities are the University of Cape Town, the University of Witwatersrand, the University of Johannesburg, and the University of Pretoria)
How to apply
Workshop17, The Bank,
24 Craddock Avenue
Tel: 010 900 1244