|Department Housing and Residence Affairs
Section Kovsie Inn
Apprentice/Trainee Chef (contract appointment: 4 months) (3 positions)
Job ID: 2306
Duties and responsibilities:
Gain exposure in the following areas:
- Prepare ingredients for dishes upon the instructions of chefs.
- Assist in operating commercial cooking equipment such as stoves, cookers, ovens and fryers.
- Make sure that food supplies are stored properly and used resourcefully.
- Ensure that food items are properly rotated in refrigerators and any near expiry ones are dealt with according to the restaurant’s policies.
- Help chefs in cooking activities by providing input and managing work.
- Set up food stations by following chef’s orders.
- Make sure that recipes are followed properly during food preparation and cooking time.
- Handle portion control requirements and presentation standards.
- Arrange food items aesthetically on serving plates.
- Make sure that the kitchen is clean and organised at all times.
- Ensure that best food practices and kitchen hygiene protocol is adhered to.
- Provide guidance to kitchen staff in upholding high culinary standards.
- Make sure that all leftover food is stored properly.
- Assist in checking food deliveries for both quantity and quality standards.
- Provide input into stock rotation activities and make sure that food inventory is in check.
- A foundation degree/diploma in culinary arts or currently enrolled.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills.
- Willing to work assigned shifts and weekends.
- Customer focused.
- Organisational skills.
- Ability to work within a team and function under pressure.
- Knowledge of health & safety and food hygiene procedures.
- Previous experience in the Hospitality industry.
The following criteria apply to the selection of candidates:
- Not currently participating in an existing learnership/internship programme.
- Willing to sign a learnership/internship agreement with the UFS.
- Candidate must be available for a period of four (4) months.
- Postgraduate qualification will serve as a recommendation.
Assumption of duties:
As soon as possible.
10 April 2018
The salary scale is available on request. For any further enquiries, please feel free to contact 051 401 9161 / 3687/ 9962 / 9130.
The University reserves the right not to fill the post. The University subscribes to and applies the principles prescribed by the Employment Equity Act. Preference will be given to candidates from the designated groups, in accordance with the principles of the aforementioned act and the employee profile of the specific department/division.
Applications may be submitted online. All applications must be accompanied by the following:
- a detailed curriculum vitae;
- copies of qualifications (please provide the SAQA accreditation in the case of foreign qualifications);
- a copy of your identity document (ID).
Applications that are incomplete, without a reference number, or sent by fax or e-mail, will not be considered. Communication will be limited to shortlisted candidates only. Should you not be contacted within six weeks of the closing date for applications, you may assume that your application was unsuccessful.
External candidates can click HERE to apply online.
UFS staff members can click HERE to apply online.