National Library of South Africa (NLSA) hereby invites applicants to apply for vacant jobs posts (Vacancies).
Closing Date: 20 June 2018
Closing Date: 20 June 2018
The National Library of South Africa wishes to make the following appointment at the Pretoria Campus
Position: Librarian– Editor x2
Index to South African Periodicals (ISAP) (One year fixed- term contract)
Salary Scale (R279 595–329 347) p.a
The objectives of the National Library of South Africa is to contribute to socio-economic, cultural, educational, scientific and innovative development by collecting, recording, preserving and making available the national documentary heritage and promoting an awareness and appreciation thereof, by fostering information literacy, and by facilitating access to the world’s information resources. We are inviting applications from suitably qualified persons for appointment on a one year fixed-term contract. The successful candidate will be based at our Pretoria Campus.
- Library Science degree, B. Bibl or equivalent degree
- Editing and language tertiary qualifications will be considered an advantage
- Experience in language editing and quality control (minimum 4 years)
- Advanced language, editing, indexing and abstracting skills
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of the use of keywords and thesaurus terms
- Knowledge of relevant indexing software
- General computer literacy•
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment
- Responsible for the editing and quality control of Index to South African Periodicals (ISAP) records.
- Responsible for evaluating individual incoming index records by editing, updating and correcting based on ISAP standards, guidelines and sources for integrity (e.g. dictionaries, taxonomic web sites, etc.) before accepting each record.
- Responsible for the on-going maintenance of existing records, including editing and correction, and the retrieval of journal issues for verification of data, according to ISAP policy, standards, guidelines and requirements.
- Make in
- Conduct quality control, taking into account the correct population of index fields and that the content in a field should support the function of that field.
- Responsible for the training of indexing staff and the provision of feedback to indexers on edited and/or returned records as required, supporting correct conceptualisation, language and grammar usage.
- Provide support to the ISAP sub-programme head.
- Responsible for keeping accurate statistics of all work done.
The National Library of South Africa is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and reserves the right not to make an appointment. Appointments will be made according to our Employment Equity requirements and people with
disabilities are invited to apply.
How to apply
Applications: Interested applicants must submit a covering letter indicating how they fulfil the above requirements, Curriculum Vitae, proof of qualifications and an ID copy to: Ms Mpharu Shiko, National Library of South Africa, C/o Human Resources Department, Private Bag X990, Pretoria, 0001 or e-mail to [email protected]. No applications from recruitment agencies will be accepted.
Should you not receive any correspondence / communication from the National Library of South Africa one
month after the closing date, please consider your application as being unsuccessful.