The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) invites suitable applicants to apply for Internships Programme for 2018/2019.
Location: Scientia – Pretoria
Closing Date: 17 April 2018
Duration: 12 months
About the job:
The CSIR has Internship opportunities in the National Centre for Nano-Structured Materials within the Materials Science and Manufacturing Unit. The purpose of the internship is to equip newly graduates with the practical work experience and provide them with exposure to the catalysis research for renewable chemical synthesis, synthesis of nanomaterial catalysts, catalysts characterisation and testing project. These positions are based in Pretoria.
About the Centre
For more info about DST-CSIR National Centre for Nano-structured Materials; please visit: https://www.csirnano.co.za
Under supervision, the interns will be required to be involved in the following research activities:
- Conduct literature searches for research projects;
- Conduct experimental work in the laboratory;
- Assist researchers and operators where needed;
- Operate catalysis research equipment (e.g. autoclave reactor, hydrothermal nanomaterials catalysts synthesis, catalytic material testing in chemical reaction processes, etc. – training will be provided);
- Compile reports and other project related documents;
- General housekeeping of the research laboratories.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A B-Tech degree in chemistry or BSc (Hons) in chemistry;OR
- A MTech degree in chemistry or Msc degree in chemisty;
- Research knowledge in nano materials and/or catalysis and organic chemical synthesis will be an advantage;
- Communication and presentation skills;
- Research and report-writing skills;
- Problem-solving, solution-seeking orientation;
- A goal-oriented approach;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team;
- Computer literacy.
How to apply
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre on 012 841 4774 or email us at [email protected]